If you’re expecting to attend a few weddings this summer, you had better start saving now. New research shows that attending a wedding in the United Kingdom costs a whopping £1,015 on average – or £2.050 if the ceremony is staged abroad!
A nationwide survey of more than a 1,000 Brits reveals the astronomical costs that include things like hotel stays, new outfits, gifts, stag or hen nights, drinks and travel.
And with one in six UK couples now getting married overseas, the costs more than doubles to allow for extras like flights, insurance and airport parking.
So if you’re expecting to attend a marriage soon, you might like to look at the budget set out for wedding guests by Provident, which carried out the research.
Wedding costs in the UK
Wedding gifts, £142
Wedding costs abroad
All of the above, plus:
Travel Insurance, £147
Airport Car Parking, £149
The costly news does not end there – the price of attending will vary according to which guest type you are.
Going to be a bridesmaid? Expect to pay more for gifts and incidentals; same for best man. And parents of the bride or groom? Well the day is even more expensive – especially if you are paying for the whole celebration!
Provident have a few tips to save you some money, however.
– Book flights in advance if you can
– Stay in budget accommodation; remain at the wedding venue for the main evening
– Pack light and only have hand luggage or share a hold bag
– Re-wear something you already have and use accessories to change the look
– Buy a smaller wedding present that can easily fit into your hand luggage